Welcome to the first special Samba edition Talk of the Turnstile, bringing a weekly round up of all things World Cup and SoccerStarz!
As you’ll probably know (and if you don’t where have you been?) the World Cup started on Thursday with a thrilling match between host nation Brazil and Croatia. Neymar didn’t disappoint, the referee did disappoint and Brazil ran out 3-1 winners.
Last night we saw Mexico take on Cameroon, Holland face Spain and Chile against Australia, Talk of the Turnstile went to press before the games were played.
Tonight we see England make their 2014 World Cup bow against Italy. In what will most likely be a tight game, I’d not be surprised to see a 0-0 draw. We will review the first week of the tournament next Friday so make sure you check back then.
World Cup headlines
- Danny Welbeck could miss England’s first game against Italy due to a thigh strain
- Niko Kovac “is there any point in playing football like that? We may as well just go home”. Kovac very disappointed at the ref’s “biased” performance
- The Manaus pitch is in a shocking condition and both England and Italy have raised concerns.
Moving away from the World Cup as we can’t wholly ignore the club game
Some brief headlines
- As I reported last week, Cesc Fabregas was confirmed as a Chelsea player this week. He will wear the number 4 shirt
- Everton chasing Samuel Eto’o
- David Bentley retires at the age of 29, after “falling out of love with the game”.
With the close season now upon us, the transfer mill has gone into overdrive. So over the coming months we will try to keep you as updated as possible on the majority of transfers as and when they happen.
- Cesc Fabregas has signed for Chelsea
- Joe Cole has signed for Aston Villa
- Bacary Sagna has signed for Manchester City
- Ivan Rakitic joins Barcelona
Don’t forget you can now buy the International SoccerStarz figurines from the SoccerStarz Online Shop by clicking HERE.
Thanks for reading the Samba edition of Talk of the Turnstile.